A document containing the goals and priorities for managing and operating the supply chain. Generally a supply chain strategy consists of the following:
- Definition of the supply chain - The scope of products, services and customers included for the document
- Performance goals - A list of metrics with targeted performance.
- Prioritization - A ranking of the relative importance of these metrics.
- Timeline - A schedule of expected outcomes.
Additionally, a company may communicate:
- Strategic practices - A list of practices (standard process, technology, etc) the company considers of strategic importance.
- Stretch goals - A targeted performance beyond the above performance goals, considered expedition of achieving longer-term goals and therefore of great value to the company. Achieving stretch goals is often linked to performance-based management/executive compensation.